PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith and Broome Airport
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2010, 11:00
peuce

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
1st .... OZINEUROPE ... thanks for getting me ot of that jam. I didn't know we were betting sheep stations on my non-controlling skills.

2nd ... DICK ...

...he can confirm that he heard the airline on both the area and tower frequencies and at all times had the airline in sight and that at no time was there chance of a collision.
With all due respect to the pilot involved, he really couldn't swear on a stack of Bibles that a collision was not possible. He doesn't know what the other pilot was thinking, knew, was about to do, was considering doing ... unless he talked to him. It's the "unknown" of Class E that's the problem ... like Class G .... which has the same problem. That's why we are trying to make BRM/KTA BETTER than current.

...and the ATSB did not recommend or even suggest that the E airspace category be changed.Now why would that be? Could it be that they considered the airspace category satisfactory? Obviously!
I can't speak for the ATSB, nor can you. I would imagine that they observe and monitor trends ... and form their opinions from that. Just as they didn't recommend the closure of CG Tower as soon as there was a prang there ... a much more serious event indeed.

And if you rely on the myth that when you now descend in G to Broome that all aircraft on on the correct frequency and listening for your inbound calls (with the correct frequency dialled in and the volume up) you are kidding yourself and your passengers.
Quite true ... that's why we're looking for an improvement. We don't want to have to .....rely on the myth that when we descend in E to Broome that all aircraft on on the correct frequency and listening for our inbound calls, with the correct frequency dialled in, the volume up and their transponders on and calibrated. We want ATC to know about everyone ... why wouldn't we?