PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dick Smith and Broome Airport
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2010, 10:46
Capn Bloggs

Received 82 Likes on 48 Posts
I have just spoken to the pilot of the VFR aircraft involved in the Launy incident. He is fed up with being defamed by you and asks that you phone him on 0428 142 361 so he can confirm that he heard the airline on both the area and tower frequencies and at all times had the airline in sight and that at no time was there chance of a collision.
Everything I have said about the Launy incident is based on the ATSB report. I do not accept that a near-miss that resulted in a TCAS RA, with only one pilot seeing the other aircraft is a good-enough outcome for an RPT operation. When both pilots see each other in good time, fair enough. I've done plenty of comfortable high-speed 180° passings in my time with hte other pilot seeing me as well. What would have happened if the 737 has done a sudden turn into the Tobago to avoid a bird?

In Launy the VFR aircraft received a radio alerted traffic advisory on two frequencies
That is not what the ATSB report said. If the report is wrong, then I suggest that somebody alert the ATSB and have it corrected.

I reiterate what I said a couple of posts back. It is unacceptable to have the outcome of an encounter decided solely by one party, who may well be the less-experienced of the two. I have said in other posts that the Tobago pilot was misled by the NAS 2b literature which said "Don't Talk"; I see someone has seen the light and, as of 3 June, ditched the famous "don't talk" clause in AIP (ENR 1.1 56.5).

The irony about Launy was that, had the 737 crew known about the Tobago, the outcome would have been totally different, much safer and at no cost to anyone. Some of us have been banging on for years that both aircraft have to know about each other for See and Avoid to work, but you simply refuse to accept this, preferring the "stealth" technique - listen and avoid. It just doesn't work, but that is exactly the system you are foisting on us. At least someone in OAR understands the issue and created a Broadcast Area for VFR, non-standard as it is.

Lastly, I do not intend to defame anyone. If the pilot feels defamed by what I say, I apologise. I am merely trying to point out the problems with the system using Launy as a case-in-point. And I will say again: in my opinion, the Launy incident was a totally unacceptable result of the flawed unsurveilled E-over-D concept.