PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air North Brasilia Crash in Darwin (Merged)
Old 20th May 2010, 09:50
BombsGone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remoak your post implied that most exmilitary pilots have a load them up view of training, and believe dangerous practices are acceptable. This is a gross generalisation and not reflected in my experience.
The military safety culture has changed significantly in the last 20 years and accident rates will bare this out. It is not the people but the culture of "this is a dangerous game accidents will happen", that was to blame. This seemed to be implied by Goblin as still OK in his closing line.

An example: Double asymetric training in aircraft. Resulted in one fatal accident and several near misses. The airforce lost several lives and a lot of respect because it did not learn from civilian experience here and transfer the training to a simulator earlier.

What you and green goblin have stated about guarding against student errors is instructing 101. Given that once you have an ATPL you can magically become a check and trainer without any training experience, I hope that companies insist on teaching such basic survival techniques and include them in what the military would call an instructor guide for any given training event. A proper instuctional technique course would be nice.

The discussion here has centred around whether asymmetric training should be mandated in the simulator. I had a quick search of the NTSB web site and found 51 accidents in the last 20 years with asymmetric thrust as a factor. None that I could see was a training accident but a significant number involved poor handling of the emergency. Food for thought. As for opinion, a good simulator as many earlier posters have stated, can give far better emergency training than the real aircraft.

Enough from me I will await the eventual report.

Happy flying