PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates vs. Air Canada
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2010, 09:34
GMC1500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High paying Canadian flight deck jobs?? EK would compete only on the long haul wide body market, and only on a few routes. IF it were necessary for AC to shed a few European flts, those resources could be deployed elsewhere in the existing network, or maybe they could exploit some new markets. This sounds like the chicken little argument.

I just don't get the protectionist argument. Look to the other western countries EK flies to: UK, Australia, USA, Germany, France, Netherlands, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, and more. Have their aviation markets, legacy carriers been destroyed? Their entire national economies? I don't think so, and although many of them struggle, you can't put it down to EKs presence. Most of them have struggled long before EKs arrival.

And what's with the term "poaching ACs customers". Does AC own these passengers? I thought it was a free country?

As for Dubai vs YYZ, I for one have lived in both. Nearly went broke living in YYZ, or should I say in the outskirts because almost no pilots can afford to live in Toronto proper. My last job was YYZ based, and of the 200 or so capts I flew with, maybe 2 lived in Toronto, the rest between 1 and 2 hrs drive away, or commuters from across the country. Hey its a free country (well, that's the crux of this debate, isn't it?) if you want to spend that many hours in your car on the 400 series highways and give half your earnings to the govt, fill your boots. I for one would never want to be based in YYZ, so speak for yourself.

Speaking of level playing fields, why is it fair that AC must have a french speaking FA on every flight while WJ doesn't, and they don't have unions to deal with, and lower corporate taxes in AB. No fair, no fair, limit their slots at Pearson!!
EK does have labour laws to deal with everywhere it employs people, including Dubai, and it pays landing fees everywhere, including Dubai. Point is no two airlines are on level playing fields. Instead of deriding one who is doing better than yours, why not try to focus on improving your own situation?

And nolimit, I do live here, wtf do you think? And I'm pretty sure our Canadian expat colleagues would love to see more frequency, sounds like you could use some more time at home for one. So what is the point of your argument then? Canada holds EKs slots hostage until Canada can force a change of govt in UAE? Are you serious??

Last edited by GMC1500; 20th May 2010 at 13:03.