PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Mekong in Vietnam
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2010, 03:41
crj705

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can guarantee you that noone here wants to willingly undercut and undermine other expat contracts.
I won't sugarcoat it. If you accept this at the current terms that is exactly what you are doing

I think this is a wholly different situation however. We are not going to a contracting company as individuals and seeking employment.
I respectfully disagree. You are a foreign national assigned to a foreign airline for a temporary length of time. They are asking for you to come there because they need pilots with experience. The problem is, they don't want to compensate you for that. When you get to Vietnam, look around at the other expats that are making significantly more than you flying smaller equipment and ask yourself what the difference is between you and him.

Most airlines, if they need pilots, go through a contract agency to find them. But, as I have said before, if Air Mekong did this they know they would not find one contractor that would have accepted the terms. You are being brought in at cheaper terms and undercutting the expats already there. Plain and simple. The only thing different with your situation is your pay. It has nothing to do with being an individual.

Skywest Inc/ASA are actually partial owners in Air Mekong. I believe it's 30% (don't quote me on that). This is a way to provide a little much needed movement among our pilot rank and file here in the states.
I can understand your point on this. But realize in giving yourself that really small amount of movement, you are setting a very dangerous precedent for us expats.

I believe a lot of the people interested in this position, look at it as a way to step into the international realm of flying with little or no risk to our current positions.
I agree with you. This is a great opportunity for you guys.

I
also know expat flying isn't a bed a roses and the glamorous adventure many think it will be. I understand the work rules and union protections we take for granted in the states will not be there for us. These are all associated risks, along with other contractual issues that will be thoroughly examined before my name goes on any piece of paper.
Here in lies the problem. Earlier you stated that your situation isn't really the same because you are not going through a contract agency. But you just described what every expat does at work every day. Whether or not you are with a contract agency is irrelevant. You are going to work as an expat. Demand to be paid like one.

You guys are all coming from the same pilot group. Why can't your MEC leadership show some organizing skills (don't laugh) and get the terms for this raised? If you all said that you are interested but the pay is too low, their only choice is to close the airline, pay you more, or go to an agency (which will cost them more).

Please don't bring regional pay to the contract world.....PLEASE