PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - fuel flow/C.H.T. meters
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2010, 03:38
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I tend to agree.

Quite a lot of people have fitted an EDM to a carb engine and found that the engine goes too rough long before they reach peak EGT or anywhere past that (best SFC point).

The benefit of an accurate fuel totaliser is fantastic - a hugely useful add-on which transforms one's ability to do significant trips, in any aircraft. It's not that pricey to install; the instrument is about $1k, and then you typically have two teflon hoses at $150 the lot, a few fittings, and the $600 Flo-scan 201B transducer. Make sure the wiring to the transducer is done with shielded cable; one of UK's best known avionics shops doesn't know this... I have some installation details written up; if anybody is interested drop me an email. Basically, you implement the old Shadin STC as far as the installation details are concerned. The hose runs are critical to avoid turbulence errors. I have an old version of the Shadin Microflo (the TBM700 version) in my TB20 and it is accurate to about 1% - a good deal better than most airport pumps south of the Alps