PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turn towards live or dead engine?
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2010, 23:52
Ducksarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents, be very careful.

Many people have been killed by a poor understanding of VMCA. Of all the factors that affect VMCA, the angle of bank is quite significant in that it is controlled by the pilot and that relatively small changes in AoB have large and significant effects on the air mininum control speed. I'm not currently flying a Dutchess or Baron but in my current aircraft 5deg AoB towards the dead enging increases VMCA by about 15KIAS and 30deg AoB towards the dead increases it by up to 30-40KIAS!

This is not to say that you can't turn towards the dead engine, it's not the turn that is the problem (typically), it is rolling out from the turn where you either 1. run out of aileron control or 2. stall the down going wing.

Any time I turn towards the dead I check that power on the operating engine is less than max and IAS is high. "Power low, speed high, turning towards the dead". On the average light twin you can't achieve this immediately after take off but can in the cruise.

If I had a choice my preference would be to 1. Maintain flight straight ahead 2. Turn towards the live 3. Turn towards the dead (with low power and excess IAS).

Good on you for asking the question but be careful who you listen to.
Please speak to a good instructor about this issue and get an aerodynamics book that clearly explains asymmetric flight, including VMCA before you attempt this in the aircraft.