PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autopilot in IMC
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2002, 22:26
GRP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a very good idea! Quite like that! Best of both worlds.

The reason I came to asking this question was that I was flying on saturday with the family on board. I had to abandon the flight because there was lowish cloud around my departure airport, although I knew it was ok where I was going as I had just driven from that direction 15 minutes earlier. Shortly after take off it became evident that I was not going to get to where I wanted to go without climbing up into the cloud and either getting above it or bursting out into the clear air to the north. With the children on board (for the first time with both of them in there) I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and that we would drive to our destination. The children were quite excited to be in the aeroplane and I didn't want to find that I was being distracted at the same time as trying to concentrate on keeping the aircraft going in the right direction and right-side up!

The owner of the aircraft on hearing this asked why I had not just stuck on the autopilot and carried on climbing - and I've been wondering why myself since! Especially since when I drove it rapidly became evident that the conditions were as forecast and all would have been well!