PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2010, 15:09
SASless

Received 511 Likes on 213 Posts
I stand corrected on New Iberia....having only been there a few times I casually lumped them into the same place as I had business at both places.

The fact Bristow wound up with an 80% market share probably has more to do with the downfall of the competition than the rise of Bristow don't you think? It is a zero sum game in Nigeria....as true competition is not the case compared to "normal" places around the world.

You are one hundred percent right about the wonderful Shell IA hangar, the Port Harcourt facilities as well as the Escravos and Eket locations. None have proper facilities as one would expect for longterm production and exploration bases.

That is my point about investment.

I am of the position Bristow all along should have invested in the construction of a proper airconditioned hangar and maintenance complex, incorporated a central training facility to create a real permanent presence in the Delta. That is what they did in Aberdeen, and Air Log did in New Iberia, and in Alaska. I am sure they did the same in Brazil which remains a successful venture for them.

When anyone says "Shell, Safety, and Nigeria" in the same breath....I just laugh!

Who has the bottomline responsibility to ensure safety....the Helicopter Operator or the Oil Company?