PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2010, 13:57
SASless

Received 511 Likes on 213 Posts
Old Timer,

You make my case by describing the BRC and its history. Also consider the absolute lack of adequate investment in housing, hangars, repair facilities along the many years the company operated there. Perhaps if the company had done that kind of investment it would be in a much better situation now.

As to investing in aircraft....that is a result of the work....that investment had to be made to get the contracts. That is an investment that is fostered by commerical pressure rather than a committment to building a presence.

The only way you can describe the way the housing and catering has been done is "cheap" and at the direct expense of the staff who are out there making the revenue for the company. One has to admit....people do figure into the equation somewhere. You cut them short on basic standard of living issues and you pay for it in turnover and training costs.

When I talk of turnover....I am not talking of those who find better paying jobs with the oil companies directly but rather all those who made a decision to move on to other flying jobs that offered a better working environment.

Mike Norris one time told me in response to the question...."When will we go to Six and Six like so many other operators?" His reply which was honest and forthright was "When we can no longer man it on the Two and One roster."

As to "prejudice" or "bias".....you forget I spent many years in Nigeria and saw how it was run. I know how the games were played and how they adversely affected the running of the company.

There is no excusing "cheap" when comparing the things that were done to what would be considered proper business methods. Capital investment is a part of business....one has to invest into infrastructure to prosper.

Look at Air Log....and the investment they have made at Lafayette....then look at Nigeria and consider the difference.

Utilizing profits wisely is not what I mean when I use the term "cash cow" and you know it!