PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class D Transition and IFR/VFR Operations
Old 19th May 2010, 10:26
SayAgainSlowly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Ted

Was talking to some ATC's today to try and get a bit of clarification about a few things, some similar to the points you raised. From what I could gather (and I can't blame the guys I spoke to for not knowing as they haven't done their Class D training yet) CASA has been very vague on the detail.

Surprise.

1. Yes, IFR aircraft conducting a SID will need to give a departure report to Tower. Apparently the Tower now has to record the detail from the departure report onto the paper strip.
-on a side, apparently the Bankstown 2 Departure is set to be axed as it is one of the few, if not the only, SID that vectors aircraft OCTA. Probably won't matter anyway because no one will be able to use it unless they want a 3 day delay.

2. Not sure. The guys I spoke to seemed to think yes, as it would then give them the chance (if appropriate) to say 'no further requirements, contact RADAR' - who would have you identified and could then process your request to upgrade to IFR, which is the service your entitled to. Again TWR has to annotate you departure call on the paper strip.

3. Expect to depart the zone on an extended leg of the circuit on a VFR departure. You are essentially a VFR aircraft for your departure (VFR departure, but IFR, but treated as VFR in the zone. Thats not confusing at all), and should conform to the departure requirements for VFR aircraft.

4. Once clear of the zone VFR aircraft will not be directed to change frequency. PIC is responsible, as it is now.

5. The guys I spoke to said you need to contact SMC on vacating the runway and advise destination, e.g 'ABC for the terminal', who will then give you a taxi clearance.

I'm surprised more questions about these changes haven't been posted, but I guess I'm guilty because I've got quite a few too.

Hope I haven't done the guys I spoke to a disservice by posting their advice, they were more than accommodating.