PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Mekong in Vietnam
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2010, 09:25
crj705

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European and Asian aviation markets are filled with FO's that paid for their type ratings (2-4 times the going open market rate) and then work for 1000-1500 E per month. Some in Europe PAY to fly 320's or 737's till they can get a real job.
Which has absoutley no relevance to these guys coming in and undercutting the current rates for EXPATS in Asia. We are not talking about local terms here.

A lot of Asian carriers (Indian, Thai, Air Asia, Indonesian carriers et al) do similar pay for FO's, even running cadet programs thru type ratings. The bonds their pilots are on are running out now and those pilots are hitting the contract world en-mass now as well.
Again we are not talking about local terms or cadet programs. These guys are supposed to be bringing experience with them, not new hire cadets. Wether they are ASA pilots or people from Asia that have paid off bonds, they are bringing experience and should be compensated correctly.

US regional pay sucks, but it is 2-5 times higher than a lot of 320 FO jobs in Europe or Asia.
Not when I worked for a regional in the US and especially not contract jobs. I made about $17,000 my first year at a regional. I dont know anywhere that pays their pilots $8,500 - $3,400 per year, even on local terms. If you can show me one I will gladly eat my words. Even as captain I was making about $75,000 per year. Show me a Captain in Asia, even on local terms, that makes $35,000 - $15,000 per year. Your facts are just wrong.

A 50 seat Captain in the US makes a similar amount (+-1000 E) to a lot of 737 captain jobs in Europe.
Again you are not talking about expat contracts.

As far as "cheap labor" invading the contract world, the Asian and Euro imports scare me far more than US regional pilots.
Well, there is a US regional carrier offering temporary expat contracts in Asia for substantially less than the going rate. That scares me and should scare you too if you are on a contract.

Do you think the package they are being offered is right for the contract world???