PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Off to University for 3 years. Should I get my PPL?
Old 19th May 2010, 09:13
lovezzin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that having a University education will improve your chances greatly over someone who does not hold a degree. This is just my opinion as my human nature is that if I had 2 candidates, the degree holder always wins!!

It is only those who are less than middle-aged and dont have degrees that bang on about them not being important. a degree is the norm now, as were A-levels in the generation before that and then GCSE equivilants in the generation before that!! Just the way it goes!

It would be interesting to see what % of those starting training do hold degrees...i believe the majority going Integrated do!

My question is: Can you get a meaningful, well-paid job, where you gain the skills that the GAPAN survey highlights, without a university education, and before you're middle-aged?
I would say yes, Most Engineering Graduate schemes give you opportunities in each field...obviously except Aircraft handling! My Job certainly does!! Even aircraft handling from the theoretical side of things :P

What I meant was having a degree in the current economic situation is not very useful because there aren't many current vacancies which require a degree.
Yes there is...there is plenty. Plentiful jobs for those with Degrees of more classical disciplines. Its the ones with the mickey-mouse BA's from no-name University who end up in the Chip-shop/ASDA down the road...a degree is not simply a degree....there is so much range in the values of degrees in different subjects and from different universities. Generally, any degree that has entrance requirements of minimum 300 UCAS points are worth the paper they are written on.as the points requirement represent the quality of University and Quality/difficulty of degree. Sorry if your didnt, and there ARE exceptions to this rule, but generally speaking!! sorry if this offends anyone...