PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS rears its head again
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2010, 09:03
Dog One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no problem with RAS aircraft suitably equipped being in E, as long as they have a clearance and we have traffic on them. But you will all say, the marvellous design of E doesn't require them to have a clearance, they are free to fly as they please. It is a bit like moths attracted to a light and their death, isn't it. RAA aircraft are hard to see at the best of times due to their size.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum, "Not so long ago, we were inbound to a CTAF(R), we had broadcast on the CTAF frequency at around 35DME, and again at 25 DME. We were then tracking for one of the IAF's to conduct a GNSS (RNAV) approach to the duty runway. There were no responses to our inbound calls and no other calls were heard. As we approached the IAF, we got a TCAS return of a target descending and crossing over the IAF at approx the same altitude we would have crossed it as. Becoming visual we turned and tracked visually to overhead the aerodrome, whilst trying to establish comms with the target. We had preset the next Center frequency for our departure, and we heard this aircraft giving an inbound call. Because he was low, Center where not copying his calls. We suggested the correct frequency to him, but could not visually see the aircraft until he was in the circuit and we were on the ground. The only thing that saved there lives and probably a heap of innocent people was the servicable Transponder, Without that he could have been match wood, or if we had missed him our wake turbelence would have put him on his back and into the ground.

Hence my very strong opposition to the airspace proposals at Broome and Karratha. The present proposal will end in tears, the safety of innoncent people is at risk. If the general public were fully aware of the risk factor they would be facing, I am sure the hue and cry would rattle the Government's cage!