PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2010, 22:35
phil5556

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike

For a start we were asked specifically, by one of the interviewers, not to post on here about the group exercise or interview questions. There's a PDF on NATS website that contains all the info you need to know about Stage 3 - http://atcocareers.co.uk/pdf/Hints-a...Three-Days.pdf

Assessment Day Three

If you’re successful at Stages 1 and 2, you‘ll be asked to attend the final assessment day, Stage 3. This assessment day consists of a group exercise and a competency based structured interview. NATS will provide lunch, and if your Stage 3 assessment day is at an operational unit, you may also be able to take a tour. There may be some periods of waiting around, so you might like to bring some reading material with you.
The group exercise has been designed to allow all applicants a chance to work together on a transportation scenario. Throughout the exercise, you’ll be observed by trained assessors. There is no one ‘correct’ solution to the exercise; we’re just interested in how individuals within the group work together to complete the task.

The interview is competency based and will be conducted by two assessors. During the interview, you‘ll be asked to think of situations when you previously behaved in a particular way, and to describe your specific actions in detail. The questions are all based on the following areas:
  • ATC Motivation
  • Conscientiousness and Rule Adherence
  • Decisiveness and Confidence
  • Emotional Stability
  • Error Awareness
  • Openness to Learning and Development
  • Planning, Decision Making and Problem Solving
  • Team Working.
To prepare for the interview, it might help to think of situations where you have demonstrated behaviours in these areas. You can use examples from any area of life, including college and/or university, previous paid and voluntary work, family and/or personal life, and clubs, hobbies and/or societies. What is important is that you can talk about situations that provide good examples of your behaviour in these areas.
Of course I don't know that I gave all the "right" answers, but if people knew the questions before hand then they'd have time to prepare (& fabricate?) responses, which I don't really think is what the interview is trying to test.

It's a competency based interview, they ask you to think of different situations you've been in and how you handled them, based on the topics up there ^^^.

I'd recommend going to visit somewhere before you go to the interview though, it helped me and was really interesting.