PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Training in New Zealand
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2010, 20:06
The Trailing Edge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IAANZ

I don't normally get involved in these sorts of things but i'm going to come to the defense of IAANZ. And before anyone gets stuck in, no, i'm not employed by either the CAC or the IAANZ, I was however a student.

The IAANZ is a large organisation and yes it pushes a lot of students through the system. The fundamental thing that people fail to understand, especially those using the student loan funding is that your mum is not there to look after you. If you want flights, get your instructor or the booking guy to book them. If you wan't to pass your exams first time, do some study and if you don't understand something ask. If you don't want to do this feel free to take days off, go on holiday or sit upstairs drinking coffee and whinging, but be prepared for the course to take longer than a year! Its your choice.

My course had 27 students on it. I know of at least 10 who passed the course in less than 11 months, all while there were 2 other courses with roughly the same number of students in each.

In regard to the instructors just wanting to jump ship. Where are they going to jump ship to? As you may have noticed there is a bit of a slow down in the job market at the moment. I know only of 1 who has an interview out of the current crop. They do give a toss and will be more than happy to help, BUT, only if you put the effort in. As I said above take some responsibility for your own learning.

I know this all sounds a bit harsh, but this is aviation and aviation is the real world, so, unlike high school there are no "did not achieve" just PASS/FAIL.

I would reccomend the IAANZ to any prospective student, its what you make of it.

TTE