PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2010, 18:51
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safetypee;

I think many would agree that early examining of the role, if any, of the EGPWS is important. First, we don't know if the airport is in the database which this a/c had, (411A?). We don't know the type of installation (Mk, Honeywell? etc). Differences in specifications may provide different (more enhanced) warnings.

In one schematic, (to use the term loosely - the entire description is poorly outlined), there is a 5nm circle which gradually descends from 400' AGL to ground level some distance from the runway. Because the diagram is so poor I can't tell what the distance is from the runway that the system "sort of gives up monitoring". In other words, the A330 FCOM section on EGPWS I am familiar with does not make it clear where EGPWS protections end. By the diagram I have, it ends some distance from the runway. It's strange I know but there it is - no information. Going to the Honeywell site offers a choice of Mk's but as mentioned, we don't know which it is.

So yes, absolutely the EGPWS needs to be examined for these limitations, if any, and then, if programmed to provide warnings of terrain right to the runway threshold, did it work as designed or was it or related systems on MEL, and if it did work what did the crew/PF do or say?, etc etc.

PJ2