PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2010, 15:50
HundredPercentPlease

Received 53 Likes on 21 Posts
Altimetry.

Has anyone here had the interesting exercise in the sim where you are given a nasty NPA and passed an incorrect QNH?

Hllt 120420z 27007kt 5000 Br Nsc 19/17 Q1009

Temperature one nine, QNH one zero one nine.

It has be puzzling me how you crash an Airbus at the lateral point that is roughly at MDA. Really, you should crash it on the runway, or at least abeam.

To crash 0.8 nm short, you need to start at the right point and have a high ROD, or start at the wrong point (too low) and have the correct ROD. Given that the Airbus uses FPA, going for the wrong ROD is tricky.

Now I realise I am creating a scenario to fit, and not looking at evidence to make a scenario - so this is just food for thought. But the 330 was 250' off-profile, and then bust minima. If the altimeters said they were on profile and at minima when the ground arrived, then you'd end up where they were. If your first warning was "50" then conceivably you could get your tail tangled in wires as you went around.

And yes, I know that the RA would be the clue, but fatigue can knock you so so easily. But how else do you end up on the ground so far short of the r/w?