PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 18th May 2010, 08:03
flybymerchant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Litebulbs

Dismissals are now available to BA, if they choose, for all crew who took part in unprotected industrial action (about 2000)

I don't think Willie's ready to go down that route yet- far more sensible to point to our CRITICAL finances and directly attribute them to dodgy industrial action and moribund union 'leaders', necessitating new contracts for all cabin crew accross the board, all crew on same, easily manageable contract, allowing for HUGE savings in back office admin too.

This is where I think he's heading.

He wants to be seen to be merciful (no compulsory redundancy & no culling) but he wants to effect real change.

That said, he wants to keep public and cc alike onside to a certain degree, so that new contract has to be cleverly devised to address all of BAs productivity requirements, slashing the enormous inefficiency and poor productivity whilst still offering carrots that appease the cc. I've always thought that (short haul) if our cc came in and worked a decent day instead of one-sector days and hanging around CRC, taking 2 hrs or however long 'at table', not doing fixed links etc etc.....if they worked like cc in other airlines, BUT STILL WELL WITHIN THE UK CAA LEGAL 900 HOURS (which only came in for cc quite recently as a restriction at all I think)...IF they worked sensibly, the ineffeciency and associated costs are so high in current BA, that Willie could offer every cabin crew member two extra days off every month, 5 days extra holiday a year, protected & guaranteed pay, the original share scheme offer and reinstate (reduced) staff travel for strikers, AND EASILY SAVE THE MONEY THAT WAS ASKED OF THE CABIN CREW.