PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Airbus STALL RECOVERY procedure
View Single Post
Old 18th May 2010, 07:52
syedo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i like this comment

in "normal law" you can not fly the Bus into a stall....

browsing thru FCTM regarding protections in normal law, we have high pitch protection, low energy protection, high AOA protection, Alpha Prot, makes me wonder if this FBW airbus do reach actual stall condition... but if u are in low speed, high pitch (approach phase) and flying into build ups, u can actually be in a stall situation if there's very strong updaft in a few seconds towards the front part of the aircraft. the current recovery actions are to reduce the pitch as to reduce the AOA, wings level, and simultaneously apply full power till u are out of stall and once the speed builds up, u can reduce the power, or re-engage the A/thrust if Alpha Prot became active previously, and return to your original path (miss approach if in approach phase). height loss will be minimal.
but if u are up there at 40'000 feet, in clean config, and suddenly u hit a severe CAT, i think it is more practical to unstall the surfaces, ie. to reduce the pitch and AOA, and wings level, before u apply power to increase the speed. height loss is not a primary concern in this situation. furthermore, at high altitude, a sudden increase in power demand might choke the engines, resulting in engine stall, plus unneccessarily firewalling the engines that added to the maintainance cost.
from my opinion, they should come out with stall recovery on approach/near terrain as well... separate the recovery procedures so that pilots will be clearer on the actions to be done in different situation.
my 2 cents....i might be wrong, and open for better explanation...