PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 18th May 2010, 07:38
Crash_and_Burn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding going on, on PPRUNE and in the news media..

It keeps being said that if BASSA/UNITE lose the appeal (if it even gets heard) then they will simply re-ballot for another strike.

Not that simple I'm afraid, if they lose the appeal then the strike in March was ILLEGAL. I'll say that again, the strike in March was ILLEGAL. BA then have the right to sack anyone who breached their contract and went on an illegal strike, and they also have clear grounds to sue UNITE for their incurred losses (approx £60m).

If UNITE lose the appeal, there will be NO re-ballot, they will be begging BA to offer them anything and they will sign-up to anything to prevent the Union being made bankrupt.

Personally, I think UNITE will cut BASSA loose to sink or swim (Sink in this case) as part of an A$$ saving deal with BA, and then BASSA will be sued back to the Stone Age.

IF UNITE lose the appeal, then any Striking crew and BASSA supporters are totally at the Mercy of WW. All you can hope for is that he shows you more than you deserve.

This is the End-Game, and I think we know who has won.

CB