PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 23:28
RadAlt2010

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your response ATC watcher. I am well aware what ICAO is, what it can and cannot do, its history etc. I am not new to aviation, I am almost a decade younger than 411A who sadly has lost touch with current practices, if not his social skills. In the interest of safety, I was merely suggesting new roles and powers for ICAO. OK, if you cannot see ICAO fulfilling that, lets invent a NEW body and call it International Agency For Aviation Standards & Safety, fund it through the UN and give it international executive powers. I cannot understand why you, or 411 are so vehemently opposed to the idea of such an international lobby. Tripoli (or any other airport for that matter) may seem very safe to some, but very dangerous to others. Lets set up a body that sets standards that say this airport is bad, and that airport is good (to put it at its simplest), and actually attach some teeth to it, not just a name, so that the offending airfields or CAA's or countries get their act together through deadlines and penalties. It will need legislation that over-rides regional CAA's where safety is concerned, because what is safe and what is not can be clearly audited and ought to be internationally agreed. I would like to know why this is so hard to implement particularly at a time of declining safety standards all over the world. Aviation safety took a dive in the last two/three years.