PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Insight on Flight Schools in Ontario
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 18:51
slam525i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not to crap on PPRUNE, but you should check out the forums on AVCANADA :::WELCOME:::

As for flight schools, I was in pretty much the same boat as you, in Toronto, wanting a PPL and maybe a few ratings but no intention on going commercial. I lucked out in that back when I started, flying clubs were more common and I had great training at Hamilton Flying Club. It doesn't exist anymore.

Instead, most of these places out here have "200 hour wonders" who give me advice like "Keep your nose lower on approach or you'll tail strike" or some other complete bullplop. Some are so busy they can't remember who's who (and often don't care). My advice is to have a little interview with your instructor. Preferably, pick someone who is old and has no intention of building hours so they can move onto regional airlines. I have a few "test" questions like hitting the prop gently with the dipstick during the walk-around and see if they know what for.

As for finding something old-style and hard to fly, good luck. You won't find it. I'd recommend you just train on a 152 like everyone else and then move onto something more interesting like taildraggers (which are great fun, BTW).

Feel free to PM me if you want more info/questions.