PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ----- FAA vs JAA -----
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2002, 16:13
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tricky one....

In the past, and especially for older gits, I would recomment the FAA route. This is mainly for financial reasons - it IS a hell of a lot cheaper to get the FAA ATP, if you get employed for a couple of years as an instructor in the US. Its is fairly 'easy' to convert FAA ATP to JAA ATPL, but to get an FAA ATP you NEED 1500 hrs, which is fine if you can work for a couple of years in the US. Working in the US on a 'student' visa for a couple of years is quite possible, or used to be anyway. I think that with recent events, the US is tending to scrutinise foreigners a bit more closely, and so you may run into problems on this front.

Licence.....You can fly on an FAA licence in the UK (day / VFR), but theres no chance you'll be able to fly a G reg (UK) aircraft on one (by this I mean big jet), unless you convert to JAA - so all big airlines, BA, Virgin, etc etc are out. You may find employment around the world flying US registered (N reg) aircraft, but remember to continue being employed as a pilot in the US you just have the legal right to work there, which means green card or US passport. Otherwise, no one will even bother looking at you unless you're fortunate enough to hook up with someone like Ozzy Osborne and fly his Gulfstream for him

Also depends on how quick you want to get into the right seat of a Boeing. In the UK its possible to go from zero to Frozen ATPL in around a year I think, which puts you in good stead to be employed by the airlines. In the US it will take probably 2 years, but remember you'll come out with 1500+ hours and an ATP ( nothing frozen either).

Cost....US, for zero to CPL / ME / IR, about $20,000. So technically for around $30,000 or so you could have an ATP (if you get employed as an instructor to get your hours). UK.......zero to fATPL, will probably cost £50,000

Swings and roundabouts really....I myself would opt for the FAA route (I would, my wife is American), as you get to spend a couple of years in the sun if you go to Cali or Florida. The US system is very good, you get to see loads of interesting places, all sorts of environments, and you come home an experienced pilot. However if you are itching to earn £18k a year, operating the gear and flaps on a Boeing, then do your training in the UK

Cheers
EA