PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 14:55
ARFOR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m with bearfoil on this. I have sat and read intently for months.

Call it visual bias, however the recovered parts speak in the absence of else, here is why IMHO:-
According to the BEA report the stops were at 7,9°.

- CB WX
- loss of att [all uesable] data

followed by

- Possible assem thrust/ rapid wing stall on one side [roll away from sat coverage]
- Hi-alt [aerodynamic corner] - how do most swept wing aircraft behave at high alt in stall, let alone assem thrust and no [att] ref data in sh1t WX?
- Swept wing roll spin [think about lateral loads and reversal on the vertical stab once in to the vertical]
- Vertical Stab lateral tearing of the attach points?!
- Vertical Stab attach point/s above RPB [cabin alt warn]
- Subsequent wing device damage by aerodynamic load in the wrong [non-normal] flight direction [rip up and out - trailing edge in to the air flow]
- Debris recovered?! [break apart at alt is consistent with things like the spoilers/surfaces, galley frame and other recovered bits and pieces that did not suffer high impact hard compression]
- Condition of recovered persons?!
- Cargo bay crew pod, was it squashed and ripped to bits as per high speed compression impact with water? NO

The photo of the circular rip out of the structure below the vertical stab attach points is the one clue that has remained with me throughout.

Super strong alloy structures will only tolerate a certain amount of reversing [lateral pull and rip force] before it roundels like it did in this case. Metallurgists???

Who knows how [and what] remained of the flying surfaces, and how they performed once the aircraft was descending with no forward [relative to track] airspeed initially.

What was left might have regained sufficient airspeed to have flown for a distance once it resumed airflow before further break-up, OR, it might be sitting on the sea floor any number of miles [radius given possible break-up descent trajectories] ahead/around the LKP.

Hideous scenario I know, but I don’t believe this aircraft was [as it was designed to fly - relatively] semi-controlled [forward/airflow flight] intact until meeting the ocean.

I hope like everyone else, that the recorders are found.