PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BALPA - Finally had enough
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 14:04
Dreamshiner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kinda viewed this thread from on far in the past few days. As always its came down to a "You are BALPA .... " type debate vs. "What have they done ....".

I want a strong and unified pilot voice and therefore want a strong BALPA, its only because I want this and don't currently see that I am compelled to start a thread such as this.

Essentially I can take a few things from what has been written and am hopeful that everyone would at least accept that a great deal of the pilot community in the UK have following concerns (I don't share all of these but have listed some which I have read/heard of in the past few years):
  • I think a lost of people accept that BALPA does things behind the scenes that can't be/isn't discussed openly.
  • Address that some pilots feel the BA in BALPA stands for something other than what is official.
  • BALPA HQ and an individual BALPA CC are perceived by many as different entities for all intents and purposes.
  • I think some on here should recognise that a great deal of pilots don't live within an easy commute of central London and to suggest they get involved by volunteering isn't as easy or practical or financially possible.
  • I think a number should recognise that even when their own CC is punching above its weight, some of the others are not achieving the same levels.
  • If BALPA had a better or different way of disseminating information down to the rank and file then threads such as this may never start. At present their communication skills leave a lot to be desired.
  • Yes BALPA don't have the power to halt some practices, however they have the distinction of generally being invited by the BBC, Reuters, C4, ITN and Sky to comment on certain issues related to our profession. Why tend to wait for the ash cloud of a BA strike to be asked for comment rather than approaching these news sources and outlining issues that we want addressed. This costs nothing and its well within their right/duty of care to do so.
  • Why not release a press release outlining the practice of P2F in a measured and considered way, allowing the UK travelling public to pass judgement. Why in mid 2010 are we still waiting for any concrete stance from them on this matter.
  • BALPA could easily outline what they can deal with and what they can't and if so, why not.
  • Recognise there is a large and growing number of people in the UK who are unemployed, disenfranchised and not geographically placed so therefore can't step up to the plate as it is sometimes suggested they do.
  • There are currently approximately 50 pilots formerly of Globespan now flying for Qatar, OK they've stepped up to B777's however they are bonded and while and some are no doubt happy with the change some would have preferred to have found alternative employment in the UK. The former UK government via the MoD awarded a foreign carrier an ACMI to fly to the Falklands and no caveat on hiring any of the former GSM crew was placed on them winning the contract. Why did BALPA not intervene, if they did tell us they did at least.
  • I visited a BALPA jobs conference at LHR, I paid £70 for the day plus flights and accommodation. None of the traditional newbie hiring carriers showed up however Emirates did and stood up on the stage and delivered a lecture advising us how when we reached 3,000 hours we should forward a CV.
  • This TCX thing is yet another nail in the coffin for me.
  • Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel a lot of other unions in other countries fight for their nationals a lot more vigorously than we do.

Last edited by Dreamshiner; 17th May 2010 at 14:17.