PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency Diversion
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 12:31
Todders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a lot more to add except that as pilots that is what we are there for to constantly be updating our "What if plans". Every pilot should at all times in commercial aviation as a min know.

1 If i lose an eng. what would be my drift down speed?
2. If i lose an eng. what FL can I maintain?
3. How low can if descend Ie MORA whats the highest point of land below me.
4. Where the nearest available airport and whats it's weather like.

Other areas have more you need to be thinking of for example over high mountain ranges are there suggested escape routes for you to get lower either for eng performance or for o2/pressure alt reasons.

Also it is an option on the 737 fmc to have an alt airports page, it has a prompt on it that if pushed populates the lines with waypoint info ie ETA, fuel remaining etc of the nearest airports. You can input your choice of airfield manually and it will give you info for there. It also lets you choose if it's a diversion or if it is via a miss app. the later lets you see what you info would be at your chosen alt after completing your current route and go around. You can also insert planed winds and cruise alt to make it more realistic. One of our aircraft have this option think it was ex FUTURA.

I haven't flown it in a while but i think it has a access prompt on the bottom left of the legs page if i remember correctly.