PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - General Sir Richard Dannatt on radio 4
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 11:47
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all.
I started this thread as I thought some of you may want to hear the generals words directly.

This thread seems to have turned a bit personal and nasty in some posts, and I am not quite sure why. IMHO there do seem to be posters who are very much not in possession of all the facts of modern military workings, yet think they are. I also feel that some posters have become so used to cuts in spending that they cannot see the wood for the trees of the larger defence picture, and so resort to "'we're the most important, cut every one else's equipment" type nonsense which much have become institutional in nature.

I originally said I agreed with the generals verdict on PFI tankers, but did not comment on the 'too many FJ' argument.

Perhaps general Dannatt would like the RAF to cut its FJ fleet, in response to the massive cut in capability he has ordered for the army!
I guess we would need to ask him directly to find out in more detail.

Can I also ask for posters to use the emoticons (smilies) supplied by the site, as they can make a post much easier to understand in its correct context.

For example:

"No - I only got into aviation after I had passed the RAF age limit. Though I don't see what the fuss is about - they are just small, light, agile, VFR aircraft. They are remarkably easy to fly with loads of power reserves, hugely responsive controls, and drag to give speed stability when you need it.."

May sound (in type) as a serious offering, but on an adult site like this, it must surely be a joke or a waaaa, so the use of '' or '' would have made things clearer.

Of course, I am hoping that was a humorous comment, and not just complete nonsense

Have a good day everybody