PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 09:37
C-SAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fzz said:

C-SAR:

Did you see any evidence that the aircraft actually hit the poles? It looks from your photos that they're lying facing away from the crash site. Some of them look almost as if they have been lifted out of the ground.

So perhaps they were simply pulled over by the wires, then when the wires broke they rebounded and fell over away from the crash site. Or perhaps the aircraft snagged the wires and lifted the poles somewhat. But I'm not sure (at least from the photos) that we can say that the aircraft was low enough to hit the wires or poles 250m before the tailcone impacted.

As always, need to be careful to avoid drawing conclusions from only partial data.
I fully agree with you. Getting there my first thought was: these poles are pointing in the wrong direction. But then I saw that they looked like eradicated from the base, like in a pulling action, as you say. If you compare with the picture at page 15 where a pole is cut half way up, you can see the difference between being chopped "japanese sword like" and being pulled off the ground. That is why I agree with your hypothesis.

Your last comment finds me fully in agreement. I have been in too many accident sites for not to know how careful we need to be in looking at evidence and in formimg our own conclusions before corroboration and cross-check.

C-SAR