PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA crew fed up with JFK ATC - declares emergency.
Old 17th May 2010, 09:09
stator vane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one more from me--

again, i am dismayed at the assumptive attitudes of the posters on this thread against the pilot and the ATC involved in this event and after reading more replies today, i sense a return of the British/Irish/Europeans looking down at the Americans again.

yes, some of the American culture is a bit 'cowboy-ish'

but like all things, it is good at some times and bad at others.
on the other hand, an emphasis on procedures is good at times and bad at others.

being humans, we find it difficult at times to know what is best at times, especially pressing times of short duration.

yes the British RT is more proper most of the times-but it would be interesting to compare the volumes of traffic into the different areas-i have flown into LHR,LGW,STN,MAN and all the major airports in Europe since 1998 to present and i have never heard anything that comes close to what i heard in DFW, ATL, LAX, SFO, and the entire New York area even back in 1995-96. at times Approach control was simply a 'broadcast' of instructions--no time for any readbacks at all-and even when there is time for readbacks, it evolved into an abbreviated english-by necessity.

after listening to the tape again, what strikes me is the suddeness of the change! after checking in with approach, AA's heart beat must have dropped a bit from max, thinking they're on the last stretch-almost home-perhaps after some time of redline bpm on earlier segments of the approach-then suddenly they are told the wind had increased and yes, we can tell by the RT that they were back at redline and perhaps going above--the spare mental capacity had suddenly reduced and they sound as if they were having to think and speak at the same time--

i am convinced that both the pilot and the controller--upon reflection could see ways that both could have done better-but i would also wager that they would buy each other beers and shake hands at the local as well. and both will be better at what they both do from here on out. no terminations should be given!

i am american born and a british citizen and it cuts me very deep when i hear any one imply that americans are in any way lower than the british or visa versa--

on any subject--from friendly fire in the current fighting in the sand pits to the New York RT, the yanks and the brits/poms/irish/europeans have had their glorious moments and complete bollocks perhaps in the same percentage ratio-

and before making conclusions upon any of the incidents--only the people who were actually there (right there!!!) -and survive (key word) should have any real say in any 'sentencing'

the rest of us should simply listen and learn!

something that hasn't been mentioned yet--i suspect only in America would any one have such free access to the tapes!!!!

cheers;