PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 07:25
nugpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been away for a few days so just caught up. We must be careful of the PPRuNe/Media spiral. The newspaper hacks read uninformed speculation here and publish it because it is attention-grabbing. Another poster quotes the newspaper and the next moment the idiotic fringe's ideas become facts, feeding the descent into chaos.

.............no other airframe has had such a run of bad " luck" in such short succession..........
paweas, not true old chap. Take forty lashes and go and do some homework.....

Some of you still don't get it pure and simple!!!!!

NOT a go around prang - but CFIT trying to find the runway........ Believe it or not but I would never have ever let my family or myself fly on an Afriqiyah or Libyan Arab Airlines aeroplane ever Even before this
White Knight, CFIT descending, CFIT descending during go-around is still CFIT. Your clairvoyance is noted though. Other than that, there is not much accident history to base your anti-Libyan sentiments on. Pinnacle Airlines in the states have done worse over the past two years..........

I said an ILS in THIS case would have saved the day. You cant argue with that no matter how hard you try. Few airline pilots these days fly manual approaches and an ILS on all runways should be made mandatory in all major international airports.
RadAlt2010, whether an ILS would have saved the day would surely depend on the final cause of the accident. If the cause is CFIT/pilot error, then a different crew would also have saved the day...

Non-precision approaches are only dangerous if you do not adhere to the procedure and related minima. Mandatory ILS's mean mandatory calibration, etc. How long would you trust ILS's in some places?

Many pilots fly manual approaches every day. If you don't, you are probably degrading the one skill that could save you and your pax one day.....

Asking for mandatory ILS's at every airport is just further evidence of legislating for mediocrity. A good captain would know when to abandon an NPA and when to go to the alternate. A/c prang off ILS's as well...........

An auto approach is always more comfortable for passengers
Uhm, why? I thought we could all fly at least as well and smoothly as the autopilot....