PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Off to University for 3 years. Should I get my PPL?
Old 17th May 2010, 07:18
lovezzin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I studied at one of the best Universities in the UK and didn't pay a penny for it.
Yes good for you, bloody Scots haha. When you are talking "one of the best" I assume you are talking about Edinburgh...

I was semi-lucky too as I was the last year group that had Fee's capped at £1250/yr!

£3.5k per year of free money, spent wisely, would easily fund a PPL and some hour building.
No Way José!! Have you been/completed Univerìsity? Without a Parents allowance you wont be able to fund a PPL on that cash!! On top of that, if you dont spend money on Beer and girls, you wont enjoy University at all!! If you go to Univeristy, lock yourself in your dorm like an introvert, and 'ride it out' to get the degree paperwork, I admire your strength...But feel sorry for you...leaving University with no friends or nor experiencing real university life!!

A good university education in Europe costs around 15K, am I right?
No. Depends on your course length (3/4 yrs). Do you have crap A-levels and need an additional foundation year? I found Univeristy to be very expensive. My Parents paid my fee's, accomodation and gave me a food allowance. I also took the full student loan, of about £12,000 and rinsed through the whole lot...am I a moron? YES. Especially when the Uni Flying club had hourly lessons for £80!!But i had some hell of a good times to look back on but in general for 3 years i would estimate:

Fees: £10,000 (or best part of)
Accomodation: £10,000-£12,000 (or best part of)
Food/Life: £7500 (£2500/yr)

Total: £27,000 - £30,000

Last edited by lovezzin; 17th May 2010 at 07:30.