PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 17th May 2010, 01:01
bearfoil

Chris

I think that this aircraft lost all of its control surfaces while airborne. The report would have us believe they were washed off in the impact with the Ocean. Given the wide range of deflections available from the top of cruise, and the a/c's substantial speed, I believe it is a reach to say the surfaces (connected to the a/c) made it to the impact. The surfaces of each of the controls show that they were wrenched out of their mounts violently but symmetrically. The skin in each is remarkably free of punctures, wrinkling, dimpling and warping. The challenge in engineering aircraft is to spread stress across smooth and strong material, so that no one area may be compromised more than another. This approach is specific to air loading, notwithstanding the need for lightweight.

These panels show abrasion at airflow separation areas, but remain remarkably true to specified dimensions, no folding, no warping, no crushing, as would be expected in a water impact while attached.

In other words, those areas expected to fail in aerodynamic loading, hinges, skin, corners, and longitudinal stiffeners did so, absent the curling, crushing, bending and warping consistent with a water entry while fixed in place. I don't know that the 330 is preferred over another type or not, specific to flight control; this accident involved FBW as a 'cause' only collaterally, imo.