PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Around the World Flight
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2010, 23:36
HarleyD

Location: Aus, or USA, or UK or EU, or possibly somehwere in Asia.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences between two evets I mentioned:

One is to to raise awareness and funds to fight the increasing numbers of people who die form or are affected by Malaria, this is in the millions. It will be a circumnavigation, and will not be quite so simple and easy as many here are very vocally stating. if it was so easy ther would be far more earth rounders in the books.

The other is to seek publicity and celebrity in order to attain personal fame and wealth for themslves and the crowds of managers and hangers on. I do not belittle the actual effort that she has had to put in or the skill and strength of character that she possesses, but hey, if that wasn't so stage managed for effect I will go he.

One TV commentator insisted that "even though some so-called experts say it is not an actual circumnavigation or a record, everyone here knows in their heart that she is the first teenager to sail solo around the world" , or very similar vomit inducing drivel.

Yes, it was a very cheap and throw away line in my early post that referred so casually to what has subsequently been promoted as 'the worlds first solo circumnavigation by a teenager' - completely wrong of course, ask the other Jessie, but hey, don't let the facts get in the way of a good multi hour TV event.

Good on her, she done good, but hey, these guys will do a lot more good for a lot more people and without quite so much hyperbole.

Aplogies Jessica, you are a fine young person, and congratulations on your achievement, but Tim and Ken are equally deserving of accolades and for a far more altruistic purpose. (maybe not so young and 'perky' but still in there having a go).

I am taken aback that many here believe that theirs is a simple undertaking and that finding the next maccas is the hardest part of the trip. Ken works fior the Vic ag department as a meat works inspector I believe so he wouldn't go within a hundred miles of one I suspect. A trip like this takes months, possibly years, of planning and effort, and they are not home yet!

I am sure that there are many who 'almost' flew a 210 from somewhere to some where else, but that is all so much wind, get out there and do it, like Jessica did and these blokes are doing. Good on em all. adventure is not dead, neither is is reserved for Dick Smith and a movie crew.

HD