PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SHANNON
Thread: SHANNON
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2010, 21:41
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baldonnel could so become a very much needed second civil Dublin airport
Gelofab, some very creative thinking re Baldonnel and Shannon and their respective roles. But I am not sure that a second airport for Dublin is needed any longer.

I mean DUB as it stands is in decline, a very costly piece of kit is almost complete in the guise of T2, it looks nice but I really hope that it can encourage Aer Lingus to deliver on a Gateway between USA and EU airports, I certainly believe that if they market this properly, taking on its unique offerings it can be a winner. When T2 opens the airport will have far more capacity than is needed at this time.

Volcanic ash is a new challenge in the last few months, that combined to a weak Aer Lingus, consolidation in the airline business and general recessionary environment makes me think that dublin could do without a second airport.

In addition, when I look at what is going on in Belfast, ie 2 airports after the same passengers (and yes there is competition) I cant help but feel the whole province long term would do well to have its aviation business consolidated into one facility. I know that Belfast is a much smaller market but their are parallels.

As for Shannon, it is fair to say that 1. Ryanair never mets it target of passengers. 2. Its unrealistic demands on passenger charges are testimony to the fact that they were not making much return there. 3. If Ryanair had brought a base to Shannon, it is arguable to say that the airport would not have seen the growth that it did.

My view is that Shannon needs to get used to the reality of its catchment. Ie there is a niche for essentially needed services to the main routes of London a few UK regionals and similar to Belfast for eg an offering to the Sun destinations. Oh and of course a few routes to the USA. With a realistic schedule that makes a return for the operator it makes for better sense for the future. Are there any opportunities for other non passenger traffic business ie maintenance etc?

As well as having a fairly limited market we should not forget that Shannon has quite a few airports competing for the business locally. IE Kerry, Galway and Cork.
EI-BUD