PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Strike - Your Thoughts & Questions
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2010, 15:12
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
The BASSA letter is interesting reading. Just in case there are any CC here, if not, I shall be brief:

British Airways is not going out of business and is not going to be destroyed by you taking part in lawful industrial action - but your union will be if you don't.
Correct - not by lawful IA alone. But with global consolidation; European recession and financial crisis not seen in 60 years and a volcano never seen in the history of commercial airlines - then your airline is in the dwang (as we say in South Africa).

What CEO in their right mind would drag their own company through a month of bad publicity just to prove a point?
One hired by the Board of the company to do exactly that.

Their loyalty should be to the airline that they remember, not to the one being rebuilt in Mr. Walsh's image.
Which airline are BASSA remembering? (Post war only)
  1. BOAC commercial
  2. BOAC + BEA merged
  3. British Airways nationalised
  4. British (branded)
  5. British Airways de-nationalised
  6. BA plc
They are all different airlines and were there for those specific times in the company's history. No one would say that they were all unilaterally good for service and reliability. The airline now in place and continuing is the one for now and, rather crucially, it is the only BA airline available. The good news is that you already have a job in it. The bad news is that the world is in financial turmoil.

We all have to decide what we want; we are grateful for everybody that believes they are standing up for their union ...
Ahhh, it's no longer standing up for the airline is it? I thought that this strike was about making sure that BA knew who cared about them and that the CC wanted to make sure that BA continued as a great airline with great service? Did I miss something?

What stops them from putting you on new fleet, declaring you surplus, ending any part of any agreement they choose? Not a lot to be honest.
90 days notice, that's about it.
Correct - just like in every other job I have every worked in. The greatest number of people have only got their statutory period of notice, typically 30 days (from either side). Some have 90 days but redundancy is just that and can happen at any time.

The only thing worse than 90 days redundancy notice and full payment of the legal obligations of so-much-£ per-year of service, is the company going bankrupt and everyone losing job AND with no payout. That happens every week in the UK. Just because you are the biggest airline in the UK does not mean it will not happen.