PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 16th May 2010, 11:24
Utah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Iver

Cheers for taking the time to write & express your concerns. I am aware of the unhappy Aussies in the ME. I am quite confident though that in my situation it would be a good thing.

It would not be a matter of weather or not Qantas will take me back, as I would be taking Leave with out pay (LWOP) which is covered by our EBA (enterprise barganing agreement). Many Qantas pilots take this opportunity throughout there career to explore the world be it flying or not, then return to there jobs where they left off. You're job with Qantas under these terms & conditions is 100% safe & there are infact Qantas pilots taking LWOP who are working for Qatar already.

As for me I am single with no ties & would love to see as much of the world as possible both flying & on the ground. Financially I may take a small pay cut but this is not of concern too me & the fact they work you hard is even better as the less time spent at home for me the better. It would be a great 3 years, flying to many destinations I will never get the opportunity too with Qantas, work with people from all different backgrounds around the world & be able to go home at the end of it.

There is also an aussie rules footy team called the kangaroos in Qatar i could join, not that I'd be there much to play, but things dont look that bad. I guess its what you make of it. Once again though I'm after a 3 year life & career experience, my future will still be with Qantas & not at risk.