PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2010, 10:14
takata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash Site Visits

Hello there,

Nobody commented C-SAR's last days postings.
This forum is having someone on the site (in Tripoli), and C-SAR could visit the impact zone and look around much better than any press reports, films and picture did so far.

Here is again what he found which is enlightning:

Originally Posted by C-SAR
As I have been saying to Takata, this afternoon I managed to go to the site.

Took some pictures, not as many as I wanted because of security. Could not go past the first impact point, but my interest was in the 400 or so meters before. I entered the area on foot 550 meters from the mosque (my zero reference point) and walked towards the tail.

Until the first impact point some 270 meters from the mosque there are no marks whatsoever. Lots of rubbish and car prints etc. but nothing related. There are 4 electricity poles, the wooden type, that have been downed before impact. The Impact point is the almost perfect print of the end of the tail cone. From there onwards the debris starts. Lots of honeycomb pieces etc. I say again, I could not go past this point. On the composite photo made from the overfly Dutch film, the white mark is just lime powder or something like that mixed with sand. The Sand is very soft, desert like. I took pictures of the surrounding trees on the road edge which are not cut. Also some low cactus at the impact point are cut straight and level (most probably by the horizontal stabilizer. I will make a scale map with the photos at the appropriate points. I will also try to calculate the distance from the first pole standing to the impact point, so that some techies can calculate the glide angle. The two parallel marks that can be seen on the video were past my no go point, so I have nothing to say on those.
For those looking at the Google map, the terrain is a little different. The big rectangular green area to the west of the mosque perpendicular to the road is in fact all sand. The building to the west of the mosque is all flattened down minus a small shack
In one of the pictures from the Dutch media the tail cone appears to be wrapped in a wire. That wire looks like the ones I saw yesterday around the power line poles down before the impact point. 4 poles are down from 250 meters from impact.
Based on all the contributions so far and on my visit to the site yesterday, my opinion is that the tail cone hit the power line some 250 meters before impact, dragging 4 poles down, possibly with relative high AOA. At impact point a clear impression of the tail cone is the first visible mark. Left and right of this mark there are two lines of cactus perpendicular to the flight path which are cut parallel to the terrain by the horizontal stabilizers. From there on the field of debris begins. The tail section separated and summersaulted, as has been suggested before.
Thank you very much Giorgio, those are very good infos not seen in the press so far. I'm waiting to see your schematics and pictures.
:-)

S~
Olivier