PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2010, 09:39
A4

Ut Sementem Feeceris

Received 221 Likes on 44 Posts
PT6A, if what you say is true then Libya should be banned from ICAO until they get their act together. Knowing that Navaids are unservicable/unreliable and just issuing a "cautionary" NOTAM is totally unacceptable. As for the airport clearing you for the NDB when they are both off is ..... well words fail me.

I think the Aviaition authorities in Libya and the airport management are due a huge proportion of the blame (yes I used the B word) for this accident.

You said you flew and approach to 09 using the FMGS. Is this a GNSS approach or an RNAV overlay? If it's the latter how can you monitor raw data whilst the box works it's magic?

An issue that I find disturbing has been mentioned a few times. Talk of manual go-arounds being challenging - i.e. "you must pitch up", " "the sidestick must be pulled with one hand" Come on!

If anyone sitting in either seat of any airliner is not capable of pushing the thrust levers forward and pulling back on a sidestick or control column then I respectfully suggest that they seek another career for the safety of the travelling public. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!! It's a basic manouver for heavens sake. Brief it. Agree the MA Altitude. Confirm the PF & PNF actions prior to the approach - it should be second nature - you're very close to the ground no time for prevarication or error.

Additionally at Minimums there is NO DELAY in initiating the go-around. PF should be looking out prior to the Minimums call. At minimums the call is (typically) "Go-around Flaps" or "Continue/Landing" - it is NOT ".........hmm, nope, nothing seen, go-around flaps".

For your LPC the LATEST that a missed approach can be initiated is MDA/DA/DH. If you have not pushed the levers by then it's a FAIL. It's MINIMUMS for a reason! On an NPA this is even more critical due to the potential for lateral/vertical displacement which the ILS avoids.

This is potentially two CFIT accidents on NPA's in poor WX in the last two months with the similar results........... why? We know rules - just apply them.

A4

Last edited by A4; 16th May 2010 at 09:57.