PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2010, 09:29
PT6A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAVAIDS

I have not flown into TIP for a week as I am on leave...

However can anyone confirm which navaids were working on the day?

The VOR has been NOTAM'd for a few months now that it should be used with caution due to the building works.... I can say for sure it should not be used as it is going all over the place!

On one of my last flights into TIP before leave we were cleared for a locator app to 09 only to find none of the NDB stations working not a single one... TWR was informed.... roger was the response.

We were able to fly the APP via the FMGS however... If that has not been available or the weather was not good (as it was in our case) I wonder what the result would of been...

If this A330 did some kind of botch APP it went wrong and then looked for raw data help...

If they went to the VOR it could explain why the aircraft was to the right.. as the "needle was swinging slowly from where it should be out right the right" <--- I saw that on all of my flights into TIP over the last few months.

So if they were to follow the VOR raw data they would of ended up somewhere other than the runway.

As for being so low seems like a case of sneaking under.

TIP's winds also often change in the latter stages of approach by 180 degrees.. so tower often gives a runway which is less than optimal.

If anything other than very very very basic English is used they have no clue what you are talking about and a long Standby is issued!

Just to underline the point once again... many times NAVAIDs are not working at TIP - they are reported as not working by aircrew... but no notam is ever issued or a mention on the ATIS.

PT6A