PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2010, 07:11
Niner_Mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jetjock330 quoted CNN:
The sources said that as the pilot approached Tripoli International Airport, he took the plane off auto-pilot hoping to manually land the aircraft. He realized he was in trouble and tried to pull the plane up and turn the auto-pilot back on to give it another try, the sources said.
But the effort was too late and the plane slammed violently into the ground, explaining the condition of the wreckage and damage to the plane's tail at the crash site, the sources said.
I speculate that the city and runway environment might have been visible from very far, making the pilots think they were going to execute a visual approach. I believe that the pilot on a last-minute, manual, raw data, non-precision VOR approach in bad visibility, descended below the legal minimum of 550 foot to 'take a look because it didn't look so bad from above' and was too late with his go-around.

First rule of instrument flying: do not descend below minima how tempting it may be to get home after a long flight. No runway in sight at minimum: go-around - don't wait. I believe he did go below and waited, and we can see the terrible result. Remember: at minima he only had 288 feet height left to execute his go-around. As I argued before: this is not a lot.

Niner Mike.