PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilot Uniforms
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2010, 02:12
JulieFlyGal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airline Pilot Uniforms

It will be a while before I make it in to any airline by the way the industry is going at the moment, but just wondering (day dreaming) about the time when an airline pilot is presented with their uniforms. I know the answer to this will vary from airline to airline, and since I'm from Australia, I'm hoping to get replies from airline pilots from there, but general responses from other airlines around the world for comparison would be appreciated as well.

How are new pilots to an airline presented with their wings and epaulettes? Is there a formal presentation ceremony when this happens? Or do they just go and pick it up from the supplies office? And what about when they get the extra stripes upon promotion to captain? Is there a ceremony for this too?

Are hats becoming less popular as a part of a pilot's uniform these days? I've never seen a Virgin Blue nor Jetstar pilot with a hat on. How about Tiger Airways and Qantaslink? Do they have hats with their uniforms?

And finally, a specific question about the Qantas uniform. Am I right in saying that it is black in colour (trousers and jacket) or is is dark navy blue? And do Qantaslink pilots where the same uniform with same wings?