PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 15th May 2010, 22:51
M.Mouse

Controversial, moi?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Priam (I think thats the right name for the FC system) but were told that it would be too expensive to administer for CC due to the complexity. The pilots apparently accepted 'draft' as a way to offset the cost of the bidding package they use...
Bidline is the name of the FC system It is complicated and costly to administer. Draft was the backstop, when it was introduced, to guarantee that BA would never be in the situation of having NO pilots available for a trip. Bidline was under threat until extensive, wide ranging (and very unpopular with some) changes which were negotiated a couple of years back. It was recognised by BALPA that the world had changed and sensible change had to be agreed or the entire system was under threat, does that sound familiar?

Have I got this right, CC get a basic wage, on top of that you get a myriad of variable pay, amounting to , on average, the monthly payment that is around 6 to 8 thousand pounds a year, and then on top of this you get down route allowances. I know this is all negotiated so I dont have an issue with it, but you can see as more of this becomes common knowlwdge, the less sympathy you will get.
Almost right. The amount you quote is conservative which is why the often heard mantra of how little CC earn (usually just the basic being quoted) is so laughable. Unfortunately, as in so many aspects of this dispute, the average outsider has little real understanding of quite how ludicrous BASSA's defence of the indefensible really is. I have watched and been inconvenienced (along with our passengers) for many, many years as the BASSA tail has very successfully wagged the BA dog while living high of the hog. What we are seeing now should have been dealt with long ago but, in general, BA management are fairly spineless and actually not very good at managing. Unfortunately BASSA have failed to notice that the top man now is someone who says what he means and means what he says. To even the most blinkered observer it is plain that BASSA are going to be finished it is just a matter of a little more time.

Hopefully the airline will be there to thrive once this malignant influence has been excised.