PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2010, 21:14
C-SAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit to Crash Site

As I have been saying to Takata, this afternoon I managed to go to the site.
Took some pictures, not as many as I wanted because of security. Could not go past the first impact point, but my interest was in the 400 or so meters before. I entered the area on foot 550 meters from the mosque (my zero reference point) and walked towards the tail.
Until the first impact point some 270 meters from the mosque there are no marks whatsoever. Lots of rubbish and car prints etc. but nothing related. There are 4 electricity poles, the wooden type, that have been downed before impact. The Impact point is the almost perfect print of the end of the tail cone. From there onwards the debris starts. Lots of honeycomb pieces etc. I say again, I could not go past this point. On the composite photo made from the overfly Dutch film, the white mark is just lime powder or something like that mixed with sand. The Sand is very soft, desert like. I took pictures of the surrounding trees on the road edge which are not cut. Also some low cactus at the impact point are cut straight and level (most probably by the horizontal stabilizer. I will make a scale map with the photos at the appropriate points. I will also try to calculate the distance from the first pole standing to the impact point, so that some techies can calculate the glide angle. The two parallel marks that can be seen on the video were past my no go point, so I have nothing to say on those.