PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL in Norwich
Thread: PPL in Norwich
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2010, 16:59
freon1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark,

I work for the Norwich School of Flying and we operate out of the same hangar as Anglia Air Centre. Both are good schools with great instructors and more importantly, the attitude that the student comes first. So really it comes down to a personal choice. why not make arrangements to see both? Old Buckenham I have no experience of i'm afraid.

If you're wanting to go commercial I would recommend that you speak with an instructor (Simon) who works at several of the schools at Norwich and was asked to write several guides on the subject a short while ago. Give me a bell if thats something you'd like to do and I can probably arrange that.
Also we have several people at varying stage of their commercial careers from just starting out to actually in Airline employment you could speak to.

With regards to some of the comments regarding learning to fly at a larger airfield with full ATC or a smaller one, both have their merits but i would lean toward the larger. Its a bit like learning to drive in London.. after that anythings easier.

Some other things to consider;

Do not under any circumstances pay for ANYTHING bar a trial lesson in advance. Some schools may try and tempt you with a discount for paying up front, avoid for the following reasons.
1) It is impossible to price a PPL up for someone as some have done because the apptitude of students varies so much, anyone who says different is lying
2)Profit margins in flight training are tiny against huge costs, organisations offering discounts often need cash quickly and may (as in the case of my friend) not even be around to complete the training you have paid for. I CANNOT EMPHASIS THIS ENOUGH!

Some schools have a better reputation for teaching than others who concentrate on what I would call more the leisure market, often there is very little in the way of briefings and debriefings in an effort to get more flying hours out of the aircraft. 2 hours for a 1 hour slot is what you should be aiming for. Ask what you should expect.

Look for an established school lets face it if they weren't any good would they still be here?

Look at the facilities. You're going to need to do exams and radio tests does the school have the facility to do both? only one in Norfolk does.

Cost per hour on paper is not a very good comparison, value for money is very different. Meet the instructors you'd be having and see what you think. A good instructor can save you money even if they are a little more expensive per hour. Make sure prices are all inclusive. some add VAT.

I hope this helps somewhat anyway and whatever you decide I wish you luck.

Regards
David

PS Small B I presume that is Small Boy?