PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Afriqiyah Airbus 330 Crash
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2010, 13:28
Old_Fokker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late Go Around?

UNCTUOUS

http://www.pprune.org/5694361-post365.html

I'd appreciate it you would not copy-and-paste my previous post (#360) and use it as your own, complete with my observations. You do know how to quote text so please, whenever you agree with what someone else has written and/or linked to, quote them properly and then add whatever you want outside the quote-box!

PJ2

Thanks for the composite. I wanted to do something similar when I found the video last night but time (I needed to go to bed) did not allow me to :-(

Schubinho

I do not believe the markings are caused by the (main) landing gear. It more looks like the belly of the plane (your possibility #1) which simply slided some 200 meters until it encountered the road running north-west near the mosque and which appears to be slightly higher. If the main gear would have been down at initial impact, they would have been ripped off almost instantly or, posibly when they hit the aforementioned road, and thus be located within the vicinity of the tail-section.

Unfortunately, we do not know (at least not from the aerial shot I linked to as video stops there) if there is any more debris after what appears to be the wingbox (and which would be closer to the runway).

--

As others have already questioned, would a scenario where the pilots initiated a go around applying TOGA (and gear up) perhaps explain the lack of gear-tracks on the ground and the fact that the wings (though still unconfirmed these are actually the wings) appear some 730 meters from initial impact area? Would engines still running at TOGA (or a similarly high setting) be able to move this alleged wingbox section alone after the rest of the aircraft broke up?