PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain's Authority Questions
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 23:38
dav99sod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Narsasuaq

Hi Guys

I pose this a question rather than a challenge. I am pic with a major with 25 years on the atlantic on 747/777. Narsasuaq has plates for cat a and b only I have never seen anything bigger, if there are please post them!!

One lonely day not so long ago I called their tower as we passed overhead.

My question to him was what was the largest he ever had in to land. He said it was a weekly 737 that left half empty due perf. problems.

My fo was a 20 year vet but in a former life a military boy who had been in as pic with a herc and said it was very limiting.He is one of the few I have flown with with a dual uk/usa test military test pilot rating

Now I am waiting for the knock down but his opinion is one which I do respect and that the chance of getting in ( in a heavy) daylight let alone at night in the **** ie smoke ect was almost zero. He went as far as saying virtually any other option would be better, yet on a regular basis I have colleagues next to me who consider it their best option as the weather is good ( just cat 1 )but have never looked at the reality of getting in. BGSF with all its fun seems benign although I know its miles away.What I am trying to get at as how bad do you think it should be to have a go with the risks that go with that .What other options could you generate if your answer was no.

More on thread I often carry planned fuel if I can but also have no probs putting on 10T EXTRA( less or more) IF I need it .Not once with a phone call to ask why(respect to my management ). Is that not what being a captain is all about. If you need it carry it.

Discuss

Last edited by dav99sod; 15th May 2010 at 00:20.