PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funny Things Happen in The Air Force
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 19:26
Papa Whisky Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the early sixties I had the doubtful privilege of being detached to Beihan whilst serving at K****aksar ( I do not wish to embarass anyone). Every so often we used to be sent back to 'K' for three days R & R.

In typical service manner they used to put us on patrol duties the first night back (B*stards!). On one occasion we were in one of the hangars being briefed for our nights duty. The Guard Commander was a Flt.Sgt from the base, I was the Deputy G.C. plus about a dozen personnel. In those days the guard were equipped with 303's. The drill was to have a magazine with five rounds in your pocket, the magazine was only placed on the weapon if attacked.
The G.C. had the guard in a circle and made ready using the following procedure -
1. Five rounds in a clip
2. Magazine on the rifle, charge the magazine
3. Close the bolt
4. Remove the magazine
5. Clear the action

You may have noticed that actions 3 & 4 were carried out in the wrong order. No one said a word, but were very careful to point their weapons into the air. Thunderous burst of fire. The G.C. was somewhat suprised but went through the same procedure again - with the same result.

Alarms sounding - attack imminent - Guard Commander departs under a cloud - RAF has the world's largest pepper pot!