PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2010, 18:39
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Beagle - keep us posted pse.

Been away sorry, so if these comments hark back a bit, my apols.

Robin's most recent theory is welcomed but, like all others (including D&W, Walt's ...and mine), nowt but conjecture.

While he does point out the fact that the crew did not have an IFR option because of navigtion and engine system limitations, Robin's description of the in-flight visibility is what causes me most concern - if only for the fact we have absolutely no idea of the in-flight visibility!

In this respect, what tips it for many is that the yachtsman (who could clearly see the ac) confirmed they had reasonable visibility (rocks/beach, NI coast and Skanda), the cloud was confined to the actual slopes of the mull and the ac was described as in sunlight, below the higher-level cloud. While the sequence of events and conditions that Robin describes are possibilities, they are only that - possibilities - hardly sufficient 'evidence'? However, my experience of that area (and others on the west coast of the UK) leads me to believe the ac was probably clear of cloud, in sight of surface, VMC below and with a visibility of 1nm or greater in the moments leading up the final impact. What no-one can answer is why the crew did not turn away from the clearly-visible, cloud-blanketed mull. That said, there are plenty enough possibilities for this lack of turn - some even listed by the AAIB; which the BOI chose to play down or ignore.

In all this there is doubt, plenty of doubt. For that reason alone the Air Marshalls failed in their duies to follow the mandated regulations of AP3207 and QRs.

As for airworthiness, the MoD's case is riddled with multiple cases of non-compliance, negligence and failures, possibly even right up to Controller Aircraft and his minions. Whilst with a pair of 'big picture' glasses on, I can see they were stuck between a rock and a hard place but what they have done since the crash is nothing but unforgiveable. Their actions could be seen as duplicitous, two-faced, obfuscating and cowardly and, ultimately, they have allowed 2 innocents to take the blame for their higher-level errors; not good leadership or honour? These AMs deserve all that is coming to them because if the politicians do not get their act together, the courts will have Spiers, Norriss, Bagnall, Day and Wratten for breakfast. In fact, these men (I won't call them gentlemen) have tarnished the good name of the RAF and it is difficult to see how they could retain the slightest vestige of credibility within the circles in which they move. I would hope that many on this forum would not be sad to see them exposed even if the BOI verdict is overturned.

Of course, that will never happen but.......

'they know that we know that they porked it and covered it up'

- which may have to suffice.

flipster

Last edited by flipster; 15th May 2010 at 19:59.