PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chances of getting accepted as a Military Pilot?
Old 14th May 2010, 17:58
Tlam999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,

Firstly, good for you for looking into becoming a military pilot using every avenue available to you, including this site. I sympathise with your inability to find a straight answer on this topic - reminds me of my pre-joining days.

TTN is right to point you to the sticky thread as it covers much of what you're probably after. But rather than pack you off to this thread I'd just like you to take one thing on board - that it's not an odds game.

Vin Rouge's stat about 200 to 1 is certainly not surprising, but it in NO WAY suggests that they were 200 candidates of the same quality. People fail to get to the front line for a whole raft of reasons - academic, personality, aptitutde, medical - but you must also remember that the AFCOs deal with a great deal of people who's sole reason to want to fly is that they've seen that Tom Cruise movie... and this comes across pretty clearly at interview.

The truth is that in VR's intake the odds were not simply 200 to 1. For some (the Top Gun viewers) the chances were 1,000,000 to 1. For others they were nigh-on certain apart from that heart murmur detected at the medical with which they'd lived for years without noticing.

My advice to you is:

Get hold of the medical minima (from any AFCO) and book yourself in for a healthcheck with your GP and an optician - I did. Get on as many acquaints as possible, and even write to your local base's Public Relations Officer to ask for Summer work - I worked with an RAF helicopter unit during my Summers whilst at Uni. Read the pamphlet on what's required of you in the interview process, and try to speak to people who've gone through it recently (so not from this site ), whether they passed or failed.

And finally, remember it's not an odds game, other than the odds which are specific to you.

Good luck, and don't forget the Fleet Air Arm as an option - I didn't.